William Hermon Bond (pictured here in the 1930’s with his South Devon cattle) was a tenant of Port Eliot Estate. His farm expanded from around 30 acres supplemented by a local milk round until the family were able to move to nearby Trerulefoot in 1942 to a larger 140 acre farm. William could see that the rapid improvement in yields were going to cause over-production and told his three sons – Jim, Hermon and Martin – that they would “farm themselves out of business”. This piece of advice would lead the Bond family to become “serial diversifiers” for the next 60 years with a variety of businesses. The Bond family knew that diversification was the way forward and this started in the 1930’s when the bed and breakfast and caravan site began. A few years later, William joined forces with his three sons and in 1957, WH Bond & Sons was formed.
WH Bond & Sons is formed. Initially a family farming business, the Bonds soon develop an interest to diversify, as per the advice of Mr William Hermon Bond. The Bond family had already started to diversify prior to this with launching a bed & breakfast facility and caravan site, but with the new generation of Bonds – Jim, Hermon and Martin – on board, the family has bigger plans.
This passion for diversification leads the Bond family to create and build St. Mellion Golf & Country Club (now known as St. Mellion International Resort), which is opened by Mr WH Bond in 1976. As part of this venture, in 1989 the Bond family travels to the USA to meet with Jack Nicklaus; working together they design and build the first Jack Nicklaus golf course in the UK.
1997 sees the next generation of Bonds – Jon, Chris and Alison – take over the daily running of WH Bond & Sons. Due to the success of St. Mellion and several other projects the family had completed in the past, it is decided to expand the business. Thus, the Plant Hire and Civil Engineering departments are set up.
By 2003, WH Bond is turning over £300,000 a year. Having acquired Bake Sawmill as part of the land at Trerulefoot – the family decides to take over the company and re-brand it as Bond Timber. The next few years are to host large expansions at Bond Timber – with several new treatment tanks and storage sheds installed.
2007 marks the 50th anniversary for WH Bond & Sons.
2010 is a busy year for WH Bond & Sons as the business continually expands. Bond Timber takes over the Clinton Gates brand at their site on the Clinton Devon Estate, as well as installing brand new offices and retail shop at the Bake site in Trerulefoot. The Plant Hire and Civil Engineering departments are also expanding with over 100 telehandlers in their fleet.
With the decision made in 2011 to relocate to larger premises at St. Ive (Liskeard), the WH Bond Plant Hire fleet can continue to grow. In 2014, the fleet reaches 400 machines.
2015 sees more expansion at Bond Timber – with a new drying shed built to almost double the storage facilities onsite. The WH Bond hire fleet now contains over 20 articulated dump trucks, over 120 excavators of all sizes, and the company have just purchased their 150th Toyota Hilux.
2015 Bond Timber win Treated Wood Trader of the Year at the inaugral Wood Protection Association, success followed with Bond Timber winning Wood Preservation Project of the Year for supplying Hangloose at the Eden Project & Award for Quality Excellence at the 2016 Wood Protection Association Awards. In May 2017 W H Bond took over IDM Services at Trethew, Horningtops, Liskeard suppliers or agricultural equipment & tractors.
Bond Timber wins the Award for Excellence in Marketing at the Wood Protection Association Awards. IDM Services division is renamed Bond Agri. W H Bond Plant Hire division is rebranded to Bond Hire & Sales. June 2018 Bond Agri opens a new branch in Neet Way Industrial Estate, Holsworthy.
A Family Business
We are proud to be a family-owned, family-run business. With the third generation of Bonds – Jon, Chris and Alison – at the helm, we are continuing to expand and improve our services whilst keeping the family farm at the heart of what we do.
60 Years of Experience
From humble beginnings on a 30 acre farm in Port Eliot, we have grown and diversified into an internationally recognised company with eight individual departments employing over 100 direct and indirect personnel.
A High Quality Service
We understand the importance of good service. No matter whether it’s timber, machinery, landscaping, civil engineering, earthmoving, recycling or training, we strive to ensure that we provide the best service for you.
On Wednesday 7th November the team at Holsworthy hosted their first open day. Starting at 10 am over 200 people visited the branch to learn more about our range of Tractors and Equipment available for hire & purchase. Thank you to everyone who attended the event and enquired about our services and product range. A